Resources about how to make work for the web.
Duckett, Jon. HTML and CSS: Design and Build Websites.
- Don’t Fear the Internet – video lectures by Jessica Hische and Russ Maschmeyer
- SitePoint CSS Reference and HTML Reference – great general references
- Stack Overflow is a good source for answers to small questions – follow search results that point there
- WebPlatform.org docs – well-written, sleek, but project suspended
Stay away from W3Schools.
CSS Grid and Flexbox
- Keith, Jeremy. HTML5 for Web Designers.
- HTML5 Doctor: in-depth analysis of HTML5 elements
- HTML entities (special characters)
- Can I Use – browser compatibility tables
- QuirksMode – browser compatibility tables
- Should I Prefix: when to use prefixes on CSS properties
- Learn CSS Selectors Interactively
- HTML Arrows (“a delightful reference for HTML symbols, entities and ASCII character codes”)
Responsive design and HTML/CSS media queries
- Ethan Marcotte, Responsive Web Design.
Luke Wroblewski, Mobile First.
- Ethan Marcotte: Responsive Web Design (the seminal article)
- Sitepoint on media queries
- Smashing Magazine on media queries
- Responsive navigation patterns
- Responsive navigation
- This is responsive (“Patterns, resources and news for creating responsive web experiences”)
- Gridpak (graphical tool for building responsive grids)
See also recommended software and tools.