File and folder structure
Working on projects for this courses, you’ll create more files than you would for most courses. Think carefully about how you manage those files.
1. First, get some drives
If you plan on using lab computers
- Buy a USB flash drive or an external hard drive for primary storage.
- Buy a second storage device for backup.
If you plan to bring your own laptop to class
- Keep your projects on the laptop.
- Buy a flash drive or external hard drive for backup. You can also use this device to move files to and from lab computers for tasks like printing and scanning.
Beware of online services
Online file storage will likely cause problems with missing or out-of-place files. Dropbox may work, if you are exceptionally detail-oriented, but Google Drive will probably burn you. Don’t ask for help with these tools.
2. Next, set up your folder structure
Maintain this folder structure later.